Sweetcorn fritters with avocado salsa
This lovely autumnal recipe harks back to the recently passed summer. Our thanks to nutritional therapist and CNM graduate Lindsey Jenkin for providing it. To find out more about why eating organic matters, see our blog by CNM’s Tegan Philp.
Serves 4 || Prep: 20 minutes || Cook: 10 minutes
100g buckwheat flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
100ml plant-based milk
2 medium eggs, beaten or 2 vegan flaxseed ‘eggs’
2 spring onions, finely sliced
1 large cob of corn with kernels removed
1/2 pepper, finely sliced
Coconut oil or ghee for cooking
For the salsa
12 cherry tomatoes cut into quarters
1 ripe avocado
1 handful of coriander, chopped
1/4 lemon, juice only
Salt & pepper to taste
1. Place flour into a mixing bowl. Add the egg, milk and baking powder and whisk until smooth. Place to one side.
2. For the salsa – scoop the avocado into a small bowl and gently mash. Add the tomatoes, coriander and lemon juice, season to taste and mix well.
3. Heat 1 tsp of coconut oil or ghee in a frying pan and add the spring onion, peppers and sweetcorn. Gently fry for 4-5 minutes then add the vegetable to your batter mix and stir through.
4. Heat another tsp olive oil to your frying pan. add 2 tbsp of batter mix per fritter and cook for 4 minutes on each side on a medium heat.
5. Serve fritter with avocado salsa on top.