Braised Red Cabbage
A lovely side dish at any winter meal – warming and fully of spice.
50g butter, plus extra to serve
1 red onion, finely chopped
1 cinnamon stick
¼ tsp ground cloves
¼ tsp ground nutmeg
1 red cabbage, cored and cut into irregular chunks
3 eating apple, finely chopped
3 tbsp muscovado sugar
300ml dry cider (Dunkertons works well). Non-alcoholic version can use vegetable or chicken stock
- Melt the butter in a large high-sided, heavy-based pan and gently fry the onion.
- Add the chopped cabbage, apples and stir for a minute, until coated in the butter.
- Add the cider and simmer.
- When the cabbage begins to soften (after about 10 minutes) add the cinnamon, gloves, nutmeg and sugar.
- Simmer with the lid on, on a gentle heat until cooked – this could take up to 45 mins, so keep checking and stir intermittently, checking that it’s not getting too dry or sticking to the bottom of the pan.