Better Food, better planet.
If you’re looking to be a part of something that’s bigger than just a shop, and to be a part of our journey to build a community who respect and save the planet, then check out our vacancies for jobs at Better Food below.
Better Food’s mission is to build a better, fairer food community for all, through our pillars of Organic, Local and Ethical. Working for Better Food means acting with passion, humility, responsively and ethically to help us achieve our vision… but don’t be fooled, it is hard work trying to change the world one apple at a time!
If there’s a vacancy which sounds just right for you, please fill out our application form and send it over to our friendly recruitment team. If it fits the bill, the hiring manager for that role will be in touch.
*All roles do require a commitment to working weekends and evenings unless otherwise stated.*
(You’ll find the email address and further instructions at the top of the downloadable form)
You’re one step away from being part of a team that’s creating a better future for food. Just make sure you let us know what vacancy you wish to apply for on the application form.
You’ll get some little extras for being part of our family…
- 25% discount across our stores and cafés
- Free lunch!
- One paid volunteer day per year
- An additional 1 days holiday per year (up to a maximum of 4 years, pro rata for part time)
- Money@Work scheme with GWCU
- Employee Assistance Programme with the retailTRUST
- Long Service Awards
- And much more!
We’re looking forward to receiving your application!
Our vacancies stay on the website until we feel that we can make a hiring decision, so if you see a vacancy that you want to apply for then please send your application in ASAP as it may be gone the next day.
If you are unable to complete the application form electronically for any reason, please get in touch with us to discuss alternative methods of application. Unfortunately, we are unable to accept CV’s. We are also unable to consider work experience requests for anyone who is under the age of 16 and/or has not yet completed their GCSEs.
*Please note, we do try to respond to everyone who takes the time to send us an application, however, due to a high level of applicants, sometimes this is not always possible. We do go through all applications received, so if you’re not successful the first time around, please don’t be discouraged to get in touch about future vacancies or give us a call to check the status of your application.
We hold and store all your personal data in line with the GDPR 2018. For a copy of our data protection policy, or for any accessibility support with the recruitment process, please email email@example.com.
We are seeking an experienced Buying Manager to oversee the sourcing and purchasing functions for our growing business. With four shops in Bristol, we are inviting this role to join our leadership team on our exciting journey to develop the business and be ready to open new stores. Bringing a passion for food, environment and sustainability issues, as well as an organised and commercially focused approach, you will help to lead the business in commercial success, innovation and growth. As Buying Manager you will have direct impact upon the success of the business and can positively influence the wider world with environmentally driven decision making.
Day to day responsibilities:
- Curate and oversee our portfolio of products in line with our sourcing policy, ensuring we keep ahead of market trends and developments
- Manage all supplier relationships on an operational and commercial level to deliver success and best practice to the business
- Ensure continued growth in sales, margin, price updates & stock availability, all within strict deadlines
- Manage and deliver a monthly price promotional cycle which supports the business in sales, profitability, and customer satisfaction
- Manage the existing buying team as well as having an oversight of store based stock controllers
- Working with other department leads to evolve the successful operational delivery of the business while safeguarding the interests of the business at all times
Requirements for the role:
- A proven passion to make a positive impact in business
- 2+ years of managerial experience
- 3+ years of buying/procurement experience
- Confident & experienced in the use of Excel, data management and stock control systems
- Highly organised with a proven ability to forward plan and pre-empt sales cycles
- Excellent people skills, including negotiation and supplier management
- Confident understanding of P&L and a proven track record to deliver to targets
- Deep understanding of the organic & natural food market, food trends and the wider retail context
- Ability to work collaboratively with all levels of the business and contribute at an eloquent and meaningful level with the senior leadership team
This role is full time and based in our St Werburghs shop.
Pay, dependent on experience £38,000-£42,000
The role will close when we have sufficient candidates. To apply please send a copy of your CV and a cover letter detailing why you would be the perfect fit for the role.
Store Manager – full time
- This an exciting opportunity to put your mark on one of our well-loved shops as store manager.
- Manage a diverse team in a vibrant, dynamic store environment.
- Nurture and develop individuals in the workplace for growth and success.
- Enjoy a delicious free lunch from the café and a 25% discount across all our shops and cafes.
- Additional perks: paid breaks, extra holiday accrual, volunteer day, wellbeing partnerships, sick pay, and more.
- There is plenty of opportunity for creativity and to put your own stamp on the shop as store manager, while being supported by the wider management team.
Our ideal Store Manager candidate:
- Ready to take ownership of all elements of the Store Manager role, payroll, waste, KPIs’, training & growth.
- You’ve got a proven track record as a Store Manager (2+ years)
- Thrive in a busy retail environment, can demonstrate previous success at growing sales & standards as Store Manager
- Genuinely passionate about food, retail, and caring for the planet with ambition to make real change in the world
- Excelling at customer service, our Store Managers Lead by example in all areas; implement company initiatives and work to maintain and improve on KPI’s like sales, waste & shrinkage
- Problem solving and thinking creatively are second nature, and you are excited to dive into learning new skills across the business to further drive sales in your shop.
- You’re looking for your next challenge and want to work for a company that is making a difference, while embedding yourself in the local community.
The Store Manager role is full-time across the week with occasional weekends or evenings as per the needs of the store.
40 hours per week – £13.75 per hour, with a pay increase to £14.50 effective from April.
Looks like you’ve seen all our available roles. Feel free to send us a completed application form with your details and what you’re looking for anyway, in case something else pops up.