Don’t you just love Autumn – all I want to do at this time of year is to add pumpkin to every meal. This recipe for pumpkin fritters is a bit different from a pumpkin soup or curry. Served warm with your favourite dip they make great snacks or accompaniments to a main meal. They are crispy on the outside and soft and gooey on the inside. All ingredients can be bought in store and all can be found with organic options. Because this recipe is dairy free and can easily be made vegan and gluten free, this is a recipe suitable for any dietary type. As always, please remember to read through the full recipe before starting to cook; I can’t remember the amount of times I’ve skipped over the recipe and then forgot to add a vital ingredient.
Serves: 5 (2 each, plus 10 for the freezer) Time: 20 minutes Level: Easy
2 cups of roasted pumpkin
½ cup of gluten-free/your favourite flour
½ tsp. of Himalaya pink salt
2 tsp. of baking powder
1 tsp. of cinnamon powder
2 tsp. of coconut sugar or your favourite sweetener
2 large eggs**
Oil for frying (coconut works best)
- Heat the oven to 180-200°C.
- Roast your pumpkin for an hour or until golden.
- Add all the ingredients in a food processor/blender or blend by hand.
- Heat the oil in a pan and when hot, dollop in a spoonful of the pumpkin mix. Depending of the size of the pan, you can cook 4-5 fritters at a time.
- Fry for 60-90 seconds, then flip over for at least 30 seconds until cooked through.
- Set aside on a paper napkin to absorb the excess oil and repeat as needed.
*Melanie R. Gonzalez is the creative force behind CookYourLife, She makes original recipes that taste great, look beautiful and have incredible health benefits. She cooks all around the world, leading workshops, working as a yoga retreat chef, writing her first book and sharing her passion as a food stylist & blogger.
**vegan option: 2 Tbsp. of apple puree