In the depths of winter, good gut and overall health are particularly important. This recipe for chicken broth is a great staple and a great way to use the whole chicken. Make it vegan by using mushrooms instead.
- 3 carrots
- 3 onions
- 2 leeks
- 4 garlic gloves
- 2 handfuls of parsley
- Olive Oil
- 4 sticks celery
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 chicken carcass for the meaty broth OR 300 grams shiitake mushrooms for the vegan broth.
Add a little bit of olive oil to the bottom of a big casserole dish.
Add the chicken bones, heat and stir in the pan to give a little bronze colour.
Now add all the ingredients, and a couple of bay leaves as well.
Stir until the vegetables are soft.
Only now add enough water to cover all the ingredients.
Cook for about 8-14 hours. I recommend slow cooking for quite a while… some people leave it on for 24 hours.
Strain the liquid consome and enjoy the magic healing power of shiitake/chicken broth.
*Melanie R. Gonzalez is the creative force behind CookYourLife, She makes original recipes that taste great, look beautiful and have incredible health benefits. She cooks all around the world, leading workshops, working as a yoga retreat chef, writing her first book and sharing her passion as a food stylist & blogger.
- Three Delicious Ways to Cook Herring
- Vegan Asparagus Carbonara
- Purple Sprouting Broccoli and Mushrooms
- Hobbs House Bakery Classic Sourdough
- Organic Superfood Granola
- Coconut Short Crust Pastry
- Banana Bread with Roast Chestnuts
- Turmeric or Golden milk
- Savoury Leek and Sourdough Bread Pudding
- Homemade Red Lentil Dal
- Brain-Boosting Energy Balls
- Apple cider
- Hot cocoa
- Spiced Cauliflower and Lentil Salad with Miso Dressing
- Sour cherry millionaire shortbread