Coconut Shortcrust Pastry
Coconut shortcrust pastry was made popular in the 2018 Vegan Week on The Great British Bake Off. So we bring to you a very easy and tasty dairy free pastry recipe. It makes flaky pastry that, as long as you use coconut oil in its solid form, is still malleable, with a pleasant flavour that’s not too coconutty. Put the jar of oil in the fridge for half an hour to firm it up if its liquifying, then stir (and repeat cooling) until you get a good firm-but-not-solid consistency.
270g of plain flour
½ tsp salt
160g of coconut oil in its solid form (not liquid, see note above)
50-90ml ice cold water
- Put the flour and salt into a large mixing bowl. Scoop in the solid-form coconut oil and mix with a fork into an even, crumbly consistency.
- Add the ice cold water a spoonful at a time and mix in gently using a wooden spoon, until the mixture forms a smooth dough.
- Knead the dough well, then put it on a surface sprinkled with flour and mould it into a think flat oval, ready for rolling.
- Three Delicious Ways to Cook Herring
- Roasted Brussels Sprout, Mushroom and Kale Salad
- Sencha tea with rose
- Zero waste Broccoli Stalk Salad
- MUSHROOM AND CELERIAC RISOTTO
- Beetroot and Chilli Soup
- Vegan Scotch Pancakes
- Blood Orange Upside-down cake
- Turmeric or Golden milk
- Carrot lox
- Merry Mulled Wine
- Chocolate beetroot and date cake
- Wild Garlic and Beetroot Pizza
- CAULIFLOWER AND COURGETTE CURRY
- SWEDE AND CHICKPEA CURRY