Squash and basil tagliatelle
This recipe has been supplied by our Social Media man David, who in his other life is an avid and very knowledgeable allotmenteer. All his recipes are flexible in terms of ingredients and quantities, depending on what he has in abundance at various times of the growing seasons.
Serves: 4 Time: 30 mins Level: easy
2 tbsp butter
1 large onion, chopped
1 medium-sized squash, roughly peeled and chopped into small cubes
800g chopped tomatoes
2 cloves of garlic, crushed
Handful basil or rosemary, roughly chopped
Seasoning to taste
- Melt the butter in a heavy bottomed saucepan.
- Coat the onion, and add the squash. Fry on a medium heat for 8-10 mins.
- Once the squash starts to brown, add enough water to cover.
- Boil down the squash until tender, keeping an eye on the water to make sure the chunks don’t burn – this should take around 20 mins.
- Meanwhile, cook the tagliatelle in the normal way.
- Once the squash is soft, add chopped tomatoes and cook for a further 5 minutes.
- As the sauce cooks, add chopped garlic and make sure you combine thoroughly.
- Take off the heat, add the basil and seasoning and serve.
See our squash