Zero waste Broccoli Stalk Salad
It’s Plastic Free July and we’ve been busy thinking about other ways we can reduce, reuse and recycle, like this scrumptious zero-waste recipe. Did you know broccoli stalks are just as nutritious as the florets?
Our recipe for grilled broccoli florets and celery leaf pesto can be made as a vegetarian or vegan light lunch. This dish gives back-of-the-fridge veg a new lease of life, and saves them from an unnecessary trip to the bin.
Grilled broccoli stalks with yoghurt, grated carrot and celery leaf pesto
Serves: 4 Time: 30 mins Level: Easy
For the salad
- Two broccoli stalks, quartered lengthways
- A tablespoon of Better Food olive oil
- 250g salad leaves
- Two carrots, grated and the tops finely chopped
- Half a lemon
For the pesto
- 190g of celery tops, chopped roughly
- 10g cheddar (use a vegan alternative)
- 50ml of olive oil
- A squeeze of lemon juice
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed and roughly chopped
For the dressing
- A dollop of Yoghurt (dairy or vegan) per serving
Turn the grill onto a medium heat. Place the broccoli stalks onto a baking tray, drizzle over the olive oil and add the seasoning. Slide the broccoli under the grill for 8 mins, or until it starts to crisp.
Into a blender, add the pesto ingredients, and blitz until smooth.
Serve up the broccoli on a plate of mixed back-of-the-fridge greens and grated carrot, with a good squeeze of the lemon half. Top this with the pesto and yoghurt before enjoying as a zesty, zero-waste dish!
Cook’s tip: see our zero-waste beetroot recipe for a delicious side to complement this light lunch!
- Coconut Short Crust Pastry
- Hobbs House Bakery Classic Sourdough
- Chilli chickpeas
- Chocolate beetroot and date cake
- Parsnip, mushroom and Stilton Pie
- Zero waste Broccoli Stalk Salad
- Pumpkin quiche
- Apple syrup
- Broth (caldín)
- Banana Bread with Roast Chestnuts
- Turmeric or Golden milk
- Power smoothies
- Glamorgan sausages
- Veggie sausage rolls