Kohlrabi is a German word meaning cabbage (Kohl) and turnip (Rabi). While it may look like a foreign food, it is a European native and a member of the mustard family. Because it is crisp, juicy and has a slightly creamy taste, it makes a fantastic slaw. Also try it as an alternative to potato in mash, roasted with salt and olive oil, or sliced thinly in salads.
Serves: 4-6 Time: 1hr 30 Level: Easy
- 100g mayonnaise
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 3 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp whole-grain mustard
- 3/4 tsp fennel seeds
- pinch of salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 large or 2 small apples, peeled and shredded
- 2 kohlrabi, peeled and shredded
- 1/4 small green or red cabbage, finely sliced into strips
- 1 carrot, washed and shredded
- 1 celery rib, thinly sliced on the diagonal, and celery leaves
In a large bowl, whisk the mayonnaise with the olive oil, vinegar, mustard, fennel seeds, salt and pepper.
Add the vegetables and toss well.
Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.
Season the slaw with more salt and pepper just before serving, and top with celery leaves.
- Brain-Boosting Energy Balls
- Three wise mocktails
- Apple syrup
- Banana, Berry and Chocolate Vegan Ice Cream
- Coconut Short Crust Pastry
- Kombucha Roasted Chicken
- Apple cider
- Chilli chickpeas
- Banana bread pancakes
- Glamorgan sausages
- Roasted Squash, Feta and Pomegranate Salad
- Merry Mulled Wine
- Chocolate beetroot and date cake
- Better Food’s Wintery Warming Dal