This recipe uses organic carrots from The Community Farm. High in antioxidant carotenoids, carrots can reduce free radicals in the body. When processed in the body, carotenoids covert into vitamin A, which is important for vision. Carrot lox is a vegan friendly version of salmon lox. While we suggest serving it on toast, it is also good in vegan sushi, or mixed into tofu scramble.
- 1 cups coarse sea salt, plus more if needed
- 4 large carrots (do not peel them)
- 2 Nori sheets
- 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 nori sheet
- ½ tsp mirin
- Toasted rye bread or sourdough
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Cashew nuts
- Black onion seeds
Preheat oven to 200C.
Place half the sea salt into a glass Pyrex dish. Rinse the unpeeled carrots and wrap in nori while still wet. You should need half a nori sheet per carrot. Pop into the dish and pour the remainder of salt evenly over the top, adding a bit more as needed to ensure they are fully covered.
Place the dish into the oven to roast, uncovered, for an hour and a half.
Once done, tip the Pyrex over onto a baking sheet and allow the carrots for 5-10 minutes. Crack away and brush off any salt. Then, using a mandolin or sharp knife, finely slice the carrots into jagged, thin strips. Place into a clean glass container.
To marinate the carrots, whisk together the cider vinegar, mirin, capers and dill. Pour into a medium sized Kilner jar and stir in the nori sheet.
Place the sliced carrot lox into the jar, pop on the lid, gently tip to cover all the pieces, and place in the fridge for two days for the flavour to develop and to allow the acids to soften the carrot.
Serve on top of toasted sourdough, drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with dill and the other ingredients should you wish.
- Coconut Short Crust Pastry
- Banana Bread with Roast Chestnuts
- Apple syrup
- Three Delicious Ways to Cook Herring
- Pumpkin quiche
- Espresso Martini
- Braised lamb shoulder with puy lentils & purple sprouting broccoli
- Banana, Berry and Chocolate Vegan Ice Cream
- Vegan Pumpkin Muffins
- Spicy Bean Burgers
- Tideford Miso Baked Beans with Chilli & Lime
- Scotch Pancakes with Almond Butter and Local Honey
- Chocolate and Beetroot Pancakes with Chopped Dates
- Purple Sprouting Broccoli and Mushrooms
- Almond polenta and fruit slice