Vegan Kale Pesto
Pesto is a simple classic, which you can whip up in 5 minutes. In this recipe, we swap out a few of the traditional ingredients for a twist on your classic pesto.
The great thing about pesto is that you don’t always need to use the classic basil and pine nuts combo. It’s fun to try out different variations – swapping basil for other leafy greens, peas or parsley, and pine nuts for almonds, cashews, walnuts… the combinations are endless and you can base it on what you have in your cupboard!
Vegan kale pesto
85g cashew nuts
Small bunch of basil
1 garlic clove
3 tbsp nutritional yeast
Extra virgin olive oil
Chilli flakes (optional)
1. Soak your cashews in some boiling water for as long as you can before starting your pesto. If you’re in a hurry, this step isn’t crucial, but it will help you get a creamier consistency for your pesto.
2. Get your pasta on to boil in some salted water, and cook until al dente.
3. Meanwhile, roughly tear your kale, removing the tougher stalks.
4. Add your solid ingredients to a blender – kale, basil, nuts and garlic. Once these are blended (they should look very finely chopped), add your nutritional yeast and lemon juice and blend again. Now add your olive oil a little at a time until your pesto is softened.
5. Mix your pasta with the pesto and a splash of pasta water, then stir over a high heat until everything is combined. Season with salt and pepper.
6. Top with a drizzle of olive oil, a crack of black pepper, and some chilli flakes if you like a little kick.
– Head to your local Better Food to pick up your kale, and make sure to do it before our 2 for £3.99 offer ends!
– If you want to add some more veggies, try frying some courgette, aubergine or cherry tomatoes to mix in at the end.
– We use our Better Food Editions organic extra virgin olive oil for this recipe – the peppery flavour works perfectly.
Offer ends 28/01/2024
- Three Delicious Ways to Cook Herring
- Vegan Scotch Pancakes
- CAULIFLOWER AND COURGETTE CURRY
- MUSHROOM AND CELERIAC RISOTTO
- SWEDE AND CHICKPEA CURRY
- Oaty Caramel Cups
- Pear and Almond Tart
- Pear and walnut pie
- Vegan Blood Orange Upside Down Cake
- Organic Superfood Granola
- Pumpkin quiche
- Ginger biscuits
- CBD Hummus
- Blood Orange Upside-down cake
- MUSHROOM AND TEMPEH NOODLES